By Carolina Thatcher, BWC Inclusion and Diversity Director
The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is accepting presentation proposals for the Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) track of the nation’s largest occupational-focused safety and health event, March 6 to 8, 2019 in Columbus, Ohio. Our Ohio Safety Congress & Expo (OSC19) helps businesses keep their workforce safe, healthy and productive. Guest presenters from various states and more than 200 exhibitors share their knowledge and resources at this free event.
The D&I track attracts managers, organizational leaders, human resources professionals, D&I practitioners, attorneys, employers, and others interested in D&I, talent management, and employee engagement strategies.
OSC19 offers more than 200 educational presentations with continuing education credits for a variety of professions. For the D&I track, we are seeking:
- One-hour educational sessions, panel discussions and live demonstrations.
- Three-hour workshops.
Selection committees may give additional consideration to proposals that meet the recommendations below.
- The topic conveys practical applications of D&I knowledge for human resources and legal professionals.
- Session content is appropriate for individuals in the field who are looking to develop or implement strategies to create an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion in the private or public sector.
Proposals shall not consist of more than five speakers, including a moderator. For multiple speakers, each speaker must agree to the terms of this submission.
- We do not accept sales presentations. Your proposal must be educational and free from commercial content.
- Your material should be original; otherwise, you must reference sources.
- We do not provide honorarium for concurrent sessions. Speakers are responsible for accommodations and all travel-related expenses.
The selection committee will consider numerous factors including, but not limited to, the criteria below.
- Proposals contain proper sentence structure and correct spelling.
- Session content is clearly organized, current, practical or innovative.
- Session descriptions are substantive and explain the relevancy of the topic.
- Session skill level is appropriate for the topic and targeted audience.
Please write clear learning objectives to complete the sentence “Participants will be able to…” Use action verbs such as define, describe, distinguish, explain, identify, list, recall, recognize, select and summarize.
Aug. 10, 2018 Proposal submission deadline
Oct. 31, 2018 We notify selected submitters
If we select your proposal, we ask that you present the session at the designated date, time and location, and meet the deliverable deadlines we provide. The time-sensitive deliverables include, but are not limited to, the presenter logging on to the OSC19 Speaker Service Center, submitting audio-visual requirements and uploading session handout materials, etc. If emergency circumstances prevent you from fulfilling your commitment, we ask that you immediately notify us of the comparable subject-matter expert presenting on your behalf.
Ready to Submit?
If you have a topic for an OSC19 presentation that meets the above guidelines, we would love to hear from you. Please send your proposal via email to Diversity@bwc.state.oh.us.