By Cari Gray, Industrial Safety Consultant Specialist and Bruce Loughner, Technical Resource Consultant
So, here we are… 2022! If you are like most safety folks, you spend much of your time putting out proverbial (and maybe literal) fires and have little time to think about long-term goals and planning. Trying to “do” safety without setting goals is like trying to drive to Disney World without Waze or Google maps. You can accomplish both, but it’s going to be way less enjoyable and take a lot more time.
This new year, it’s time to reinforce that health and safety must be one of your core values and given the same weight as production, quality, and cost. Create actionable goals to help improve health and safety in your workplace. Here are some tips and ideas we hope you find useful to set goals for this year:
- Start now! Even if you didn’t come out of the 2022 gate with goals ready to go, take the time now to pull a few goals together. It’s okay to start with small goals. Small, meaningful changes can have a huge impact.
- Make sure your goals are SMART –Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
- Include others – Your safety program is for more than just you. All levels of your organization should be included and top level leadership must have a seat at this table.
- Don’t give up – When goals are not met, go back, and figure out what went wrong. Get with your team to determine if the goal needs enhanced or discarded all together.
Some workplace safety and health goal ideas for 2022 include:
- Refer to last year’s safety performance to uncover the most common types of injuries in your workplace.
- Tackle the OSHA top 10 list – determine which items are applicable and create a written program or review what you do currently.
- Create a Safety Topic of the Month and review or create the program, perform training, do focused audits, or come up with a creative way to increase knowledge.
- Beef up your training program this year and make each of your learning opportunities interactive and hands-on.
- Start a find it, fix it team to tackle some of the low-hanging fruit at your location.
- Engage your staff about safety and seek out their opinions on how to improve safety at your workplace.
- Consider joining the Substance Use Recovery and Workplace Safety Program to aid workers in recovery.
- Consider hosting a vaccination clinic.
Don’t forget to set goals for YOU too. Be intentional in 2022 and set at least one personal safety goal. Strive to be a role model for others in your organization. Don’t forget BWC offers many resources. Attend a class, view a video, update a written program, watch a micro training video, or use a safety talk. And don’t forget, BWC safety consultants, industrial hygienists and ergonomists are here to help too. Request a consultation online or call 1-800-644-6292 and let’s talk about your 2022 work and personal safety goals. And may you have a safe, happy, prosperous, and healthy NEW YEAR!