By Erik Harden, BWC Public Information Officer
In 2017, there were 971 construction fatalities nationwide; 366 of them resulted from falls from elevation.
Additionally, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) again lists fall protection in construction as its most frequently cited standard.
To raise awareness and reduce injuries and fatalities, OSHA promotes its annual National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls. The stand-down encourages employers across the nation to hold events in conjunction with the multi-day event, May 6-10 this year. As always, the stand-down encourages employers to pause during their workday for topic discussions, safety demonstrations, and trainings in hazard recognition and fall prevention.
We have scheduled four FREE training events open to the public during the week of the stand-down. We’ve listed information for each below.
Garfield Heights event
- When: 8 a.m. to Noon May 7
- Where: BWC’s Garfield Heights Service Office – 4800 E. 131st, Garfield Heights, OH 44131
- Event details: Presentations by experts from T. Allen Incorporated, The Albert M. Higley Co., Werner Ladder, Honeywell and the Cleveland OSHA Area Office
- Register: Visit the BWC Learning Center and enter Stand-Down Event in the search field then enroll for the Garfield Heights event.
- When: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 7
- Where: MHS Industrial Supply – 70 Sawyer Parkway, Mansfield, OH 44903
- Event details: Presentation by experts from FallTech; co-hosted by MHS Industrial Supply
- Register: Visit the BWC Learning Center and enter Stand-Down Event in the search field then enroll for the Mansfield event.
- When: 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 10
- Where: BWC’s Ohio Center for Occupational Safety and Health – 13430 Yarmouth Drive, Pickerington, OH 43147
- Event details: Presentations by experts from Guardian Fall Protection, LBJ Inc. and the Columbus OSHA Area Office
- Register: Visit the BWC Learning Center and enter Stand-Down Event in the search field then enroll for the Pickerington event.
- When: 7:30 – 9 a.m. May 7
- Where: Boak & Sons, Incorporated – 75 Victoria Road, Austintown, OH 44515
- Event details: Presentation by experts from 3M and a drop demonstration truck; co-hosted by Boak & Sons, Incorporated
- Register: Email David Costantino or call 330-301-5825; email David Loughner or call 216-538-9720
We may add more events in the coming weeks. Also, don’t forget the BWC Library offers an extensive collection of audiovisual materials related to fall hazards and fall prevention. Additionally, we offer year-round classes throughout Ohio to address fall protection requirements.
It’s not too late for your company or organization to plan a stand-down event. We’re here if you need help planning your activity. Just call 1-800-644-6292 for assistance.